online communities
english resources
archives
 

Shel Silverstein is one of my favorite poets. With the current problems of mad cow disease and avian influenza, this poem from Silverstein's book Falling Up is particularly relevant:

I said, "I'll take the T-bone steak."
A soft voice mooed, "Oh wow."
And I looked up and realized
The waitress was a cow.
I cried, "Mistake--forget the the steak.
I'll take the chicken then."
I heard a cluck--'twas just my luck
The busboy was a hen.
I said, "Okay no, fowl today.
I'll have the seafood dish."
Then I saw through the kitchen door
The cook--he was a fish.
I screamed, "Is there anyone workin' here
Who's an onion or a beet?
No? Your're sure? Okay then friends,
A salad's what I'll eat."
They looked at me. "Oh,no," they said,
"The owner is a cabbage head."



# posted on 1/15/2004          




2005 class info
2005 learner blogs
2004 learner blogs
Syndication
Go here to add comments to your site!